Case studies from Egypt and Pakistan (2001-2008)
LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (2012-09-17)
The Washington Post, February 6, 2014
Egyptian authorities said last week that they referred 20 Al Jazeera English journalists — four foreign and 16 local — to criminal court for their alleged membership in and aid to the “terrorist” Muslim Brotherhood.
The Daily Beast
September 12, 2012
The question then is, why do these societies continue to hate the U.S., even when so many on the streets share our values and are becoming freer and more empowered as a result? I am afraid the answer is still the same. We only value freedom within our borders.
Feb 7, 2012 – Sherif Mansour is senior program officer for Middle East and North Africa at Freedom House. SHARE THIS ARTICLE: Facebook|Twitter|Reddit …
Jan 13, 2012 – The Recurrent Temptation to Abdicate to the Military in Egypt. by Alfred Stepan* …. Don’t Underestimate Egypt’s Liberals. by Sherif Mansour …
Feb 1, 2011 – It is especially not good enough for the people in the streets in Egypt, who now … Sherif Mansour is a senior program officer at Freedom House.
Jan 28, 2011 – Sherif Mansour: It’s Freedom, Stupid. There’s only one lesson that American foreign policymakers should take from recent events in Tunisia and …
Jun 3, 2010 – The current administration’s lack of support for democracy has emboldened the Egyptian government, … GET UPDATES FROM Sherif Mansour …
June 02, 2008|Sherif Mansour | Sherif Mansour works at Freedom House, a human rights organization that has been monitoring political rights and civil liberties …
Egypt is currently in an uneasy transition towards democracy. The Mubarak regime is ailing, while popular dissent is on the rise. With more than 40% of Egyptians living on just $2 a day, estimated 30% unemployment, and more than 30% illiteracy, most Egyptians feel neglected by the state, yet unable to voice their legitimate concerns. Mubarak’s almost-30-year monopoly on power and the emergency status laws have left the country without strong opposition to the regime. The country is holding parliamentary elections in 2010 and presidential elections in 2011. Internet and Facebook activism provide an alternative space for newly emerging civil society groups and political forces to operate. Growing dissent movements are planning nationwide, grassroots organizing to peacefully mobilize against Mubarak and his party in the upcoming elections.
The challenge of Democracy in the Muslim World, Seventh Annual Conference of CSID, Muslim Democrat, October , 2006.
A Testimony for History; Monitoring the Parliamentary Elections of 2005 (in Arabic and in English) .Cairo, November 2005)
Khaldunic Dialogues (1-2-3-4-5). Documentary series compiles the debates between that took place between Ibn Khaldun Center and the other Arab media, intellectuals and officials since the reopening of the center. Published in Arabic (Cairo, November. 2004- November 2005)
A Testimony for History; Monitoring the First Egyptian Presidential Elections of 2005 (in Arabic and in English) .Cairo, September and October 2005)
Arabic Annual Report of Civil Society and Democratization in the Arab World 2004. Published in Arabic ( Cairo , January 2005)
ICDS report on monitoring the Palestinian presidential elections.14 January, 2005.
2004, The Year of Reformation Initiatives – documentary. Published in Arabic and in English ( Cairo , Sept. 2004)
Annual Report of Civil Society, Democratization and Minorities in the Arab World: 2003. Published in Arabic ( Cairo , May 2004)
Articles in Arabic in the Civil Society Newsletter from July 2003 to February 2005:
- All masks are off. February 2005
- We ask and we offer the most convincing answers, Why Ayman Nour?January 2005
- Indications of a very hot summer. January 2005. http://harakamasria.org/node/871
- Farewell political taboos. December 2004
- Did Egyptians start civil disobedience? November 2004
- Pharaoh and the loyalty offerings. October 2004
- Let us jump out of fear. September 2004
- Quranic and the Igtihad’s crisis. July 2004
- Between Good Governance and Good Governor. June 2004
- Abu Gharib accidents, Are they really strange? May 2004
- Farewell Saied ElNajjar, April 2004
- Reform too, is an act of faith. March 2004
- When will Khatami stop making shields? February 2004
- Religious Reformation, The pressing call, January 2004
- Qazafi’s problem; finding a starring role, December 2003
- If they ask you about change, tell them that it doesn’t lie in our people’s hands. November 2003.
- Going out, then scandal all!, October 2003
- Oh September, here you come again, September 2003
- 50 years of “Emergency”? July 2003